Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Argonaut Junior replica

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002 10:42:58 -0500 DJACKSON99@aol.com writes:
>Are you going to use double-planked pitch pine, nails, canvas and tar
>like the original?

No.  Being a lazy sort, and having a Lowe's nearby, I'm going to
try three layers of 3/4 inch plywood.

(Can you imagine the smell of the original?)

>What is the power source in the original?

Men.  Two guys were in there, cranking away (with their
hands, it seems) on modified bicycle-like chain drives
to turn the wheels.

> If historical accuracy is not the goal, then get a rear end
>with the drive shaft from the junkyard. Put tubes in the
>tires and fill them with water, separate the emergency
>brake cables so you can steer by locking the wheels
>independently.

I'd like to have the thing "looking" right, so the  rear
end is not the right device: it would be obviously
an addition.   But I like the idea.

> It would be dangerous, but you could take an old rear
>wheel dive axel, power train, and engine, then turn
>the rear axel upside down so reverse is now forward.

Sounds like what Lake did for Argonaut I/II.

>At 14 feet you  would have to extend the drive shaft and
>the engine could sit in front of the rear wheel tiller.

Along this line, it is my opinion that Argonaut Junior's
drive wheels were at the rear.

>I love the project idea.  It would be great for a high school
>class.

I never thought of that, but yes, it would -- if you didn't tell
any of the parents!

> Please let me know what web or book resources you
>found with details on the Argonaut Junior.

When I get Netscape installed, I'll send you my collection
of links.   In the meantime, do a web search for "Jeff Lake."
Jeff has all of Simon's photos.

Contact me off list if you might think of doing this replica
thing yourself.   There's a few out there who are quite
interested.

Mike H.

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com