Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Seal Propeller Shaft

Wolf,

If it's a motor shaft for a wet sub, all you need to use for a shaft seal is a pump shaft seal, only it's installed in reverse.  It keeps water from getting into the motor rather than keeping water from getting out of the pump.  Choose a seal that will work for the pressure at the depth your going to be diving in, with some extra for a safety factor.  For a shallow diving sub, even an O-ring will work, but their not great for higher speed rotating shaft seals.  On the upper end of the seals available, there are spring loaded "carbon against ceramic" seals that work well.  They have minimum drag and make a good seal at higher pressures and shaft speeds.  For a .500 inch shaft size, they cost from $30 to $60 American.

Good luck, Dan H

Wolf wrote:

Greetings!

My name is Wolf, I'm from Niagara-On-The-Lake, Ontario Canada.

I have alwyas been interested in personal submarines and submursibles for most of my life.

I have a question regarding the propeller system. How do you seal the propeller shaft so it doesnt take on water and flood the motor? I'm sure this is a simple procedure but I still dont know how.

I was also wondering about propeller and propulsion, what is a good type to use? I am interested in building a two-person open wetsub, it looks like a torpedo that you sit inside.

Thanks

Wolf

http://www.wolfmaan.com