Re: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: N/A

OK TIME FOR YOU TO GET OF YOUR HIGH HORSE

Unbelievably, the silly dispute over the metric system still exists. Given the particulars of the development and spread of the French system of measurement, any individual easily realizes the total absurdity of the metric system.

    Consider how the French of the 1700's were so intent on making an exact, standard measurement that could be replicated. They insisted on finding a standard in nature that would be unchanging for the base of the metric system. So the brilliant French scientists decided on measuring the length of an arc of a meridian that reaches from the North Pole to the Equator to determine the base of the new measuring system. The meter supposedly equals one ten-millionth the length of this quadrant. Yeah well, that is just plain bogus. The French scientists made two huge mistakes: first, the meridian is neither uniform nor unchanging and second, they screwed up with their complicated measurements and were actually 30 meters off. Consequently, the French's beloved metric system is actually solely based on a platinum bar made to the incorrect specifications of their measurements of a changing item of nature. Regardless of these glaring errors, the French made the metric system law on April 7, 1795. Apparently, they were desperate to adopt a system of weights and measures. French politicians and scientists had been working for at least 500 years by this time to organize a uniform system of measurement. The French General Assembly of 1302 first articulated their desired measuring conspiracy with their distasteful motto: "One King, one Law, one Weight, one Measure." In 1790, Charles-Maurice de Talleyrand, a member of France's Constituent Assembly, succeeded in persuading the French Academy of Sciences which claimed representatives from Spain, Italy, the Netherlands, Denmark, and Switzerland to accept the metric system. Talleyrand wanted to do this because he believed if other countries helped to establish the metric system, then they would be more likely to adopt it themselves. Luckily, England declined the invitation and saved us from total measuring conformity directed by the French.

    Although the metric system is slowly creeping into US culture, we have stood up to the French more than most other nations. Even though our monetary system is decimal and many stuffy old scientists may prefer the grams and meters, the US luckily retains her independence from the invasive French metric system.

> From: "Problah" <problah@zonenet.net>
> Date: 2002/09/04 Wed PM 10:57:03 EDT
> To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
> Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: N/A
>
> Well it's not figuring out the fraction that's the problem, I just divide to
> give me a decimal value (still in inches thoe) It's the standard system. It
> started because American wanted to be so different from the country they
> declared independance from that they even came up with a new form of
> calculations. It sucks. Metric is so much easier, everything really should be
> metric, everyone I've spoken to pretty much agrees except the hardcore
> patriots. I just don't care for measuring something in fractions, converting
> it to decimal, and then converting it to metric. It's pointless when the
> whole world uses metric, and we are the only country who doesn't. It really
> makes us and our equipment "Incompatible" in a sense. While I was building my
> ROV I used standard, and now that most of the equipment I want to buy fits up
> with metric, I now know what I'm going to use for my sub. It just makes it
> that much more easier, you know?
>

> Support your local zonenet

Roger June
REJ and Company