From: Ian Roxborough <irox@ix.netcom.com>
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 11:13:40 -0700
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: Propane tank

> Hi Mike,
>
> if you don't have access to resources to make a 1-ATM
> submarine, have you consider making an ambient sub
> instead.
>
> I'm not saying that ambient subs are easier to build
> than 1-ATM subs, but it does remove the issue of finding
> a safe pressure vessel to use.  After learning more
> about ambient subs at the psubs conference I think they
> look like a LOT of fun.
>
> You don't mention a lot about the propane tank you want
> to use, any estimation of crush depth that people have
> give on this list will be working with the assumption
> that the propane tank is new and in perfect condition.
> I'm sure you are aware that any small (invisible) cracks
> or dents could drastically reduce the usable strength
> of the propane tank.  If it is a used propane tank, then
> you'll have to deal with the propane that has been absorbed
> by the metal.
>
> Ian.
>
> On Mon, 2 Sep 2002 22:39:23 -0500
> majerus@iowatelecom.net wrote:
>
> >     To anyone that might know,
> >         I have a 500 gallon propane tank with a .312 thousands thickness
and was wondering if that might be able to stand pressure of 75 feet or so, I
know that some are not keen on using one but I really want to build a sub but
do not have some of the resources that some might have. Also, I was wondering
how to make a depth gauge.

------- End of Original Message -------