[PSUBS-MAILIST] Close cycle gasoline engines

Have any of you looked at the work done in Germany in 30s to
run gasoline and diesel engines underwater in what is called a
closed cycle?  Rossler's THE U-boat was published in English
by US Naval Institute Press in early 80s.  FWIW Aberdeen, WA
branch of Timberline Regional Library had a copy last time I looked
and ought to be available on InterLibrary Loan.
Anyway on page 144 in middle column (of 3) near bottom is mentioned
some experiments done in Germany starting in late 20s into early 30s.
The head of the project, a Dr. Kauffman was forced out of Germany
by the NAZIs  The basic concept was that the exhaust gasses would
be recycled and some additional oxygen was added, kinda like
an engine rebreather.  Apparently later research developed engines,
mufflers and mountings that kept noise level down.  This might be
a suitable drive for a personal sub.  Perhaps with a snorkel capability
for runs on the surface (to keep intake above waves) and just below
surface.  I could see such an arrangement with engine surrounded by
CO2 so a fire would be unlikely.  Probably be good to have the engine
and fuel compartment completely separate from crew compartment.
A lot of the crew on German miniature subs died from CO poisoning.

Another aspect to consider is fuel.  I recall reading that some Zeppelins
didn't use gasoline as a fuel but some kind of synthetic gas that was stored
in the balloons.  Possibley something like that might work.  Or maybe
MAPP gas.

Larry Murray