[PSUBS-MAILIST] AIP: di-tert-butylperoxide or DTBP

Hi,

I was reading Steven S. Zumdahl's book "Chemistry", it's
I US school book I believe.  Anyway, in the chapter
on thermochemistry I came across this small section
that seems worth sharing:

"Anaerobic Engines: Energy without Oxygen

A fireman frantically tries to rescue a person trapped in
a burning building, but his chainsaw dies from lack of oxygen.
This potential tragedy tragedy could be averted if the chainsaw
were powered by an engine whose fuel did not require oxygen - an
anaerobic engine.  Such an engine has been suggest by two
Canadian scientists* who demonstrated that the compound
(CH3)3COOC(CH3)3, called di-tert-butylperoxide or DTBP, will
decompose exothermically when compressed in the cylinder of
an engine, thus providing energy to run the engine without oxygen.
The decomposition reaction is:

(CH3)3COOC(CH3)3(g) -> C2H6(g) + 2(CH3)2CO(g)

Under conditions where oxygen is plentiful (aerobic conditions) the
engine runs normally with the DTBP fuel reacting with O2 to produce
CO2 and H2O.  However, when the oxygen supply is severely limited,
as in the smoke from a fire, the engine continues to run (although
more slowly) from the energy produced by the decomposition of DTBP
described by the above equation.  Thus the DTBP fuel would allow a
chainsaw to be used under the conditions encountered at the scene
of the fire.

The Canadian scientists have also suggested that large anaerobic
could be developed to power equipment used in mine rescues and other
situations where lack of oxygen would prevent an engine with normal
fuel from operating.

* H. O. Pritchard and P. Q. E. Clothier, 'Anaerobic Operation of an
Internal Combustion Engine.' J. Chem. Soc., Chem. Commun. (1986),
p.1529"

I think this or something like it could be of use in small subs.
Has anybody heard of it before?   The next time I'm in a City
with a good university, I'll try and find the journal that is
referenced.

Ian.
--
The moon ate the sun on Monday and it was an awsome sight to see.