[PSUBS-MAILIST] AC induction well motors

Hi guys, I've got a question/oportunity? My neighbor owns a water well
drilling and service business. I was in his shop and noticed a stack (40) of
used deep well motors (220VAC induction, 2HP/5HP/7HP/10HP and 15 HP). I
asked him about them and he said half of them work, but when he pulls a well
pump, he doesn't put the old motor back if it is more than 5 years old. He
gives them to the junk man about once a year.
He gave me one, and I took it apart (psubber). The seals only keep out
particles, but allow water into the area between the field coils and
armature. Theoretically, they could operate at any depth. The field coils
are encased in epoxy (it appears), so they don't get wet. The armature is
free to rotate in the water (a few milliliters) and appears to be made of
aluminum and a coating of ?. The field coils are encased in a stainless
steel can. I took one apart, and some clear water ran out. I put it back
together and hooked it up to 120VAC. It operated, but obviously at
undervoltage.
Why couldn't a permanent magnet, brushless, DC motor be constructed the same
way?
Have rare earth magnets on the armature, and have the field windings encased
in epoxy. I noticed there were some O-ring seals on the inductive motor to
keep out sand and other particles. Obviously, being a DC brushless, control
circuitly would be necessary.
This would eliminate most all the problems with submersible DC motors.
Am I reinventing the wheel here? Does this motor already exist, or is this
worth investigating,
Suds