Re: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] H2O2 combustion chamber

look for the kursk for instance.
There was  a leak of H2O2 inside a torpedo, the pressure built up and blew
up the engine compartment of the torpedo, then the chemical reaction turned
into fire that in turn blew up the warhead of the torpedo and the entire
compartment.
There is a complete story by the way at discovery channel about the kursk.
same thing happened to 2 US subs.
Very often Navies do not want to recognize the real cause of the destruction
of their sub because some time it is really stupid.
The scorpion for instance, in Europe it is said to sailors that the trash
dump valve stayed opened after a wrong manoeuver, another  mistake in the
design placed that valve right above the battery compartment, the rest is
easy to imagine, major leak, sea water on battery and battery connections.
of course it is always more attractive to blaim it on an attack by another
sub and other james bond stuff, the reality is often really basic.
Back in the service we used to blow bombs made of 2 liquids, which once
mixed together turn into an explosive solution with a high detonation once
triggered. 1 of the 2 liquids is H2O2, pure, of course not the one you buy
at the department store. I will not reveal the second liquid that one can
find almost anywhere, beleive me I dont want H2O2 in my sub
As you can see theses stories are not used to be found easily on the net
Herve