From: Erik Michael Muller <emm03@uow.edu.au>
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] shapeable incompressable
filler..any =?us-ascii?q?ideas=3F?=

>Hello Marcus, and everyone.
>Thanks for your ideas..once again, the combined brain
power of this
>mailing list has awe-inspired me!
>It is interesting, Marcus, I had a major revelation
last night duing a
>bout of insomnia, and it occured to me that
superballs were not very
>compressable (high resitituion too).
>
>My brain rambled on and  I thought it might be
possible to either use
>a big slab of neoprene rubber (not the foamy
compressable wetsuit
>kind, but the solid rubber variety). although I think
this might be
>expensive, so I thought I might be able to mix up a
plaster+granulated
>neoprene conglomerate.  Some serious work would have
to go into
>checking exactly what ratio would be the most
durable, though even an
>integrity (sp) failure here wouldnt matter (i.e. it
has no airspaces
>and cant crush, even if it cracks I wouldnt like it
too, just because
>it looks messy), since the only function of the stuff
is to fill
>volume.
>
>The reason a conglomerate might be more useful is
that rubber is less
>dense than water, whereas plaster (which IS
waterproof) is more dense.
> The combined mix (depending on the ratio) might be
at a similar
>density to water.
>Although the durability is not a safety concern, I
would still like to
>vary the rubber/plaster ratio and test it out (since
I suspect that
>plaster IS slightly porus!)..anyone with a boat who
wants to sink a
>few test bricks of this stuff to a few atms?
>

>-------------------
>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>> I was reading the machinery's handbook back at work
and i found out
>that
>> rubber,
>> although very elastic, isn't at all that
compressable.  Could Erik
>use lots
>> of rubber band
>> in this purpose, maybe bonded as needed to keep it
in shape?  Any 1$
>store
>> could
>> provide lots of them.