Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] shapeable incompressable filler..any ideas?

Dear CAARRO@ and all.
I suppose I should tell the full story, which I was loath to into in
the past in an effort to conserve email space etc. But...here we go
My grand plan:
ambient press dry sub, very small, slightly over 1 ton disp (prelim
calcs..lots of assumptions..if anyone REALLY wants to see some plans,
calcs etc. let me know..).

The shapes of curved hull, the batteries, tanks and the like cause a
lot of deadspace in the cabin that would ordinarily need to be
compensated on the way down.  I am trying to displace air occupying
the deadspace with some incompressable material. It will be a kind of
formed shape with specially shaped holes into which I can slide in and
out the tanks and batteries to replace, repair or whatever. I intend
that the entire displacing material will also be removeable from the
boat to facilitate maintainance etc.

So the filler will be INSIDE the boat, displacing air volume (and
since it will be non-compressable, will reduce the amount of air
needed to compensate).
I should say that I am still trying to figure if I should try to
displace as much air as possible, or as little as possible, since the
less air volume I have, the harder any scrubbers have to work (does
anyone have some empirical knowledge..or actual figures on this?).
In any case I still need at least a little bit of some sort of filler,
just to hold the batteries and tanks in one place, so they cant move
around during use.

To answer your concerns directly:
1)Since the filler will be removable, corrosion from lack of draining
wont be a problem (at least not in the short term, during a dive)
2)The filler will be inside the boat, and (hopefully!) wont be filled
with water (although this is an option, but not one of my favourites)
3)Lack of Floation is not really concern..more the opposite! I hope to
have a very light hull. The ballast will be sealed concrete laid in
the bottom of the cabin (v. low center of mass, good compression
strength, low porosity, durable and waterproof!)

So there we go, sorry for the verbosity!, I tried to keep it small.
thanks for the tips and ideas too!
E.