Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Fastest Underwater Manned Vehicle

--- Michael Holt <mholt@richmond.edu> wrote:
> James wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone know what the fastest speed traveled
> fully submerged by a manned
> > vehicle is?  Just curious. Thanks.
>
> According to miller's "The Illustrated Directory of
> Submarines of
> the World,"  the fastest sub is officially K-162, a
> Soveit Papa
> class.  It hit 44.7 knots in 1970 or 1971.  That's
> on page 395.
> On page 356, it's reported that the Soviet Alpha has
> a "speed
> of some 45kt."
>
> Both of those are nuclear.  The fastest non-nuclear
> sub might
> very well be Doc's Bionic Dolphin.  Of course, at
> some point
> Pat Regan's ideas may very well result in something
> even faster.
>

> Mike

Hey Guys,
   If anyone is interested, the Papa reportedly blew a
transmission on the run due to high vibrations. The
Alphas have to engage emergency batteries to exceed 38
or 39 knots, according to the research Iv'e found on
them thus far. they also suffer from excess vibration.
That came from an ex-soviet designer I spoke with in
Sept. of 2000.
 just for general info, have fun.
Dewey Mason