Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Minn Kota Motors

Graham -

I was not able to remove the composite pipe
with heat or even high torque from my Minn Kota..
I was afraid thats to much heat damage the engine.

So I cut the pipe some 1-2 inch above the engine
and destroy the rest of the shaft carrfully with a
small chisel and a hammer. I clean the tread and
close this with a o-ring sealed tread-endcap.

I drill two new holes into the engines for the new and longer
and stronger cables and use the original pipe hole just as
drain lock with the engine upside down. The reason that I use
two cable ways was that the cable is so strong that
a single cable with two way wire is to big in diameter
for the very limit space inside.

My engine are air compensate - so I drilled a
third hole in for the air pressure wire.

I use the drain hole after each dive for inspection to be shure
thats no water was in.. Sometimes all years I spray a small
amount of oil into this hole to make shure that no rust
have a chanche.

With a oil compensate engine - I would like to have
the hole on top - with the tread endcap - to fill the oil in
 - and with a small hole for the soft pipe to the compensator bag
on the endcap. And have a look sometimes - that the oil is still in..

For the reason that the engines are compensate - I use normal
standard waterproof cable tread fittings from the shop at the corner.

Carsten