Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re:SUBSAFE

Here we work on a little different premise than most subs, in that a VASH is positively buoyant which gives
me a lot of security, and brings me to the point of ending up safely at the surface.

First off ALWAYS do a thorough preflight inspection and systems check.
ALWAYS file a float plan with someone that is familiar with emergency procedure and follow your plan.
Familiarize yourself with all the emergency procedures of your vessel in the dark.
And I would HIGHLY recommend scuba competency until we evolve to ichthyosapiens.
Panic kills more people than system failures.

OK, there's my two cents worth, I'm going swimming now.

Doc

Captain Nemo wrote:

Howdy All, I'm on my way to work; only have a few minutes... I'm happy to see this thread receiving some contributions; all are enlightening, and some are so eloquent they should be bronzed. Yes, all subs have an element of danger to them; but homebuilts don't have to be unreasonably risky if we'll apply some common sense methods to what we do. For example, to remain within visual design-imposed limitations, I had to sacrafice a certain amount of functionality with my NAUTILUS MINISUB.  So, because I know she's not a deep water boat; and because she's one-of-a-kind I can't afford to lose her;  I've decided to never take that particular boat into waters where conditions exceed her safe capabilities, or where escape and salvage would be impossible in the event of an emergency. What are some of the things you guys have thought of to ensure safety? Pat