Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Secret sub bases (was: More youthful wetsub experiences)

Coalbunny wrote:
> I'd remove the sub from the water after each use.  Reduces the hull
> corrosion considerably.  As for the rails dipping into the ocean, yeah
> it could have been fishing boats, but I doubt it.  All depends on the
> size of the rail.  Are they 15#, 20#, 50#, 112#, 116#, 131# or 180#?
15
> pound rail would be used for smaller boats.  131 pound rail would be
for
> small/medium ships or submarines.  That is the weight per yard of
rail.
> So the 15# is 15 pounds per yard of steel rail and the 180 is 180
pounds
> per yard of rail.  And a yard isn't all that big.  Here in the US they
> generally use anywhere from 116# to 180# rail for commercial
railroads.

Marine slipways for smaller vessels often use commercial railway track
simply because it is readily available.  It also doesn't rust away quite
so quickly as smaller track.  The size and structure of the cradle will
tell you much more about the nature of vessels a slipway is intended for
than rail size.

Walter Starck
Golden Dolphin Video CD Magazine
www.goldendolphin.com