[PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: Hull construction concept: pipes

Good afternoon, Carsten.

MerlinSub@t-online.de wrote:

> > What does "12 + 4" mean?
>
> It means compartment for 12 people standard crew
> and a guest party of 4.

Thanks.  I had no idea what that might mean.

> > Was this built?  Zimmerman's book indicated that a full sized
> > boat -- the one you describe -- was never built.
>
> I think it was never build, and all I have seen
> from the smaller one was a early stage of the hull

Was the samller one built?  I know Lloyd's was offering to
insure it, but, now that I think about it, there was no
statement that the boat was ever built.

> > Who has a machine to bend pipe?  I can get small ones to
> > bend conduit for electrical stuff, but to bend anything
> > stronger and larger ... I need a bigger machine.
>
> For a psuber big working tools are not a real problem.
> Purchase the unit you need second hand - and after finish
> your sub - refit them and sold them with a profit..

I don't really have a large, secure place to build right now.
This is a logical idea, and the best one, but it would not
be my idea because I have no place at this time.  That's
exactly what I'd do, had I thought of it.

> > I wondered about that.  It seemed to me that it might be a
> > good idea to place all the penetrators at one end.  Of
> > course, that has drawbacks.
>
> Thats exact what they did - both bulkheads are conventional.

Internal bulkheads, or the end caps?

> > > 5.) Maybe better : a pipe ring - than a short cylinder
> > > make from flat steel profil - than pipe ring etc.
> >
> > Isn't that using the rings as stiffeners?
>
> Mostly it makes the welding easier.. and prefent the difficult
> small easy rust areas between the pipes.

OK.  I didn't visualize it correctly.  I understand.

Any other comment about "ferro-fiberglass" hulls?  I'd think the
metal would add some flex and some resistance to cracking.
There's a German boat from the 60s that was built just that
way; it was good to about 150 feet, as I recall.

> Not nessesary - but sometimes a good
> idea is just to expensive..

That sort of thing happens to me very often ...

Mike