Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: Hull construction concept: pipes

Hi Mike..

"Michael B. Holt" schrieb:

> MerlinSub@t-online.de wrote:
> >
> > Hi Mike -
> >
> > "GST" stands for "gaseous oxygen stored in the toroidal pressure hull"
> > and is also the explantion for this hull design. I have here
> > the main data of the project from 1988 the
> > gst Midget 100MK1 LWT 27-4 :
> >
> > Length overall          27,10 m
> > Outside diameter         3,14 m
> > Standard Displacement   100 ts
> > Submerged displ.        136 ts
> > Underwater speed max    18 kn
> > Underwater sp.transit    8 kn
> > Underwater range        1600 nautical miles
> > Crew space              12 + 4
>
> What does "12 + 4" mean?

It means compartment for 12 people standard crew
and a guest party of 4.

> > Underwater endurance    14 Days
>
> They stay submerged for 14 days?

That was the article told..

> > Operation deep  >       200 m
> > Armament                4 LW Torpedos
> >
> > The sub has an two Anerobic diesel engine generators
> > and a electric main drive.
>
> Was this built?  Zimmerman's book indicated that a full sized
> boat -- the one you describe -- was never built.

I think it was never build, and all I have seen
from the smaller one was a early stage of the hull

> > I think about this kind of hull :
> >
> > 1.) Most problem on this design (for a psuber) is the
> > amazing quantity of welding each 3 inch of the hull length
> > - a full both side turn around welding in this example.
>
> That was the first problem I could see.
>
> > 2.) Its nice because you can create any kind of (full axis symetrical)
> > hull shape with just a pipeprofil-roller machine and a full
> > automatic cylinder welder. Rocket style, teardrop style,
> > coca-cola bottle style etc.. all the same process..
>
> Who has a machine to bend pipe?  I can get small ones to
> bend conduit for electrical stuff, but to bend anything
> stronger and larger ... I need a bigger machine.

For a psuber big working tools are not a real problem.
Purchase the unit you need second hand - and after finish
your sub - refit them and sold them with a profit..

> > 3.) Any kind of hull penetration is more difficult than
> > in normal hull design.
>
> I wondered about that.  It seemed to me that it might be a
> good idea to place all the penetrators at one end.  Of
> course, that has drawbacks.

Thats exact what they did - both bulkheads are conventional.

> > 4.) Could be very intresting for a deep diving sandwich
> > GRP design..  .. you have not to weld..
>
> Please explain.
>
> I may have been thinking about something similar.  Start
> with the pipes, but do not weld them: encase them in
> GRP.
>
> > 5.) Maybe better : a pipe ring - than a short cylinder
> > make from flat steel profil - than pipe ring etc.
>
> Isn't that using the rings as stiffeners?

Mostly it makes the welding easier.. and prefent the difficult
small easy rust areas between the pipes.

> > Double hull subs has always problem with rust.. so I have
> > no tanks, rooms or even pipes in Sgt.Peppers or in CSSX
> > which I can not go in or inspect by hatches.
> > In CSSX I can go into the soft tanks and also into the
> > Regulator tanks.
>
> Good idea.  I suppose this idea might be lost during
> construction.

Not nessesary - but sometimes a good
idear is just to expensive..

Carsten