Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: Blowing ballast (was: question about general design?)

In a message dated 8/13/2001 3:19:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mholt@richmond.edu writes:

<< Long ago, I was actually thinking about using gravel as emergency
 ballast. I had the idea that a thick trash bag nested in a frame
 of metal would survive most normal operations, and I'd drop the
 ballast by having a blade that would tear the bag.  The gravel
 would  cascade out of the frame, tearing the bag to shreds.

You might want to do some experiments about weight before making any
decisions along the "detachable gravel" line. You might be surprised just how
much volume it takes to equal a chunk of lead the size of a shoe box.
Vance