Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: Verbiage

Captain Nemo wrote:

> Mike,
>
> The abstraction of "to be" is a widely recognized form of contemporary slang
> popular amongst the younger generation, and my use of it was intentional.

Sorry about that ... I spend a lot of time in a class that talks
about language use.

> Actually, (since we're discussing grammar)  it would be more correct for you
> to say "Simple mistakes suggest to me a less-than-simple mind", or "A simple
> mistake suggests to me a less-than-simple mind".  But hey!  I know you must
> know that; and all you did was make a simple mistake, right?

Wellllll......  No.  I meant it exactly as I wrote it.  Everyone
drops a bit now and then, and most of us have parity errors
every once in a while.  So the odd error is not significant.
What is significant is the continued failure to make the same
sort of mistakes.  I see that in a daughter of a friend, who
marries the same man, over and over; only his name and face
change ... but that's extreme.

> (z(:^[ >

Hat AND a beard!  I'd never have thought of that.

Which reminds me: did you ever try to assemble the unform James
Mason wore in the movie?

Cheers,

Mike