Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Introduction

>I've shared the fantasy of building a Hunley, and when well-tested would
>like to test the
>torpedo-ram - with a dummy or harmless (smoke) charge of course.  Still a
>fantasy, one of many.
>The thing I'd want to test is the ramming maneuver and the theory about the
>tangled trigger-line.

I see it all now the Hunley and the Inteligent Whale lined up at the
starting line...the shot is fired, the crews start to crank thier little
hearts away.... the first to plant a (dummy) warhead to the target and
return wins;)....

In junior high I too dreamed of building a copy of the Hunley. I really
think manned powered subs would draw a crowd if a competition was held for
them. I would like to see the Turtle, Fulton's Nautilus, the Hunley, Whilhem
Bauer's boat to name a few.

I came across a union civil war submarine called the Aligator that was oar
powered. She was built in 1863. She was later converted to a crank and
propellor like the Hunley. She foundered before her first mission.

David