Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Sub with arm

That's not exactly correct.  I'm sure this application will be using double
acting cylinders.
A double acting cylinder with a piston diameter of one inch probably has a rod
size of .250 to .375 inch.  It's the rod area that the water pressure will be
acting on.  At .375 dia. rod has an area of only .111 in.sq.  So at 45 ft.
20psi, you really only have to overcome 2.2 pounds.

Air is forgiving, but with cylinders filled with oil, you should use identical
cylinders, same piston diameter and same rod diameter, for actuator and slave
when you hook them in a closed loop.  Any mismatch in piston area verses rod
area RATIOS between actuator and slave would cause a closed loop system to lock
up. It's the area ratio that must be the same.

Dan H.