Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] AC motors

I've done some research on electric cars and AC seems to be getting much
more popular due to higher efficiencies, also the electronics is supposed
to be getting more affordable, still not low enough for my budget. I
don't see why the same would not apply to subs, There are quite a few
places online you can find information regarding motors, inverters, speed
controllers, and batteries for electric cars and trucks, I would imagine
that they could just as easily be applied to subs.

Cory

On 4/24/01, 3:37:47 PM, TeslaTony@aol.com wrote regarding Re:
[PSUBS-MAILIST] AC motors:

> In a message dated 4/24/01 6:06:54 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> VBra676539@aol.com writes:

> > There were lots of AC motors around on the initial deep submergence
> vehicles (
> > Deep Quest, DOWB, and others) and they were favored as Dan says because
you
> > didn't have to sweat brushes and they were easy to compensate. Brushes
get
> > be a problem under DEEP pressures--they weld up. For our uses, aside from
> the
> > fun of it, I'm not sure if there is justification to be had for AC
systems.
> > Low voltage DC lowers the shock hazards, for one thing.

> The voltage problem shouldn't be that big of a deal for flooding since
the
> inverter would probably be shorted out and rendered useless, shorted
wires
> contacting the hull might be a bigger problem on the other hand....
(maybe
> taken care of with a fuse?).

> One of the main reasons I brought up AC motors is because I heard AC
motors
> are more efficient that DC motors, but if there is a 10% loss in the
inverter
> they would have to be a good deal more efficient than DC to make up for
the
> loss. The upside to lousy inverters is that I wouldn't need to use extra
> power on a heater.

> >  As a point of interest, Comex used AC propulsion on the Moana subs and
> > others. Don't know why. French, don'cha know.

> Maybe the French liked Tesla's AC system better than the Edison DC
system.