Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] AC motors

In a message dated 4/24/01 6:06:54 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
VBra676539@aol.com writes:

> There were lots of AC motors around on the initial deep submergence
vehicles (
> Deep Quest, DOWB, and others) and they were favored as Dan says because you
> didn't have to sweat brushes and they were easy to compensate. Brushes get
> be a problem under DEEP pressures--they weld up. For our uses, aside from
the
> fun of it, I'm not sure if there is justification to be had for AC systems.
> Low voltage DC lowers the shock hazards, for one thing.

The voltage problem shouldn't be that big of a deal for flooding since the
inverter would probably be shorted out and rendered useless, shorted wires
contacting the hull might be a bigger problem on the other hand.... (maybe
taken care of with a fuse?).

One of the main reasons I brought up AC motors is because I heard AC motors
are more efficient that DC motors, but if there is a 10% loss in the inverter
they would have to be a good deal more efficient than DC to make up for the
loss. The upside to lousy inverters is that I wouldn't need to use extra
power on a heater.

>  As a point of interest, Comex used AC propulsion on the Moana subs and
> others. Don't know why. French, don'cha know.

Maybe the French liked Tesla's AC system better than the Edison DC system.

>  Vance
>
>  PS. Are my messages coming out wide screen to everyone?

They seem to be fine to me. Besides, I like technicolor.

Later on today I'm going to look up a place that sells Solar energy products
(including inverters) and take a look at what they have.

Anthony