[PSUBS-MAILIST] Sonar

A while back, I was talking with a small sub owner about sonar, and he
told me that he uses a modified fish finder and it worked pretty good.
I plan to be spending some time in lakes with poor visibility.  Sonar
could save a lot of headaches caused by bouncing my head off the
viewport after striking submerged objects, or worse!  Looking through
some marine catalogues, I see there are quite a variety of sounders
available.  Some with CRT and some LCD displays.  Some with a lot of
bells and whistles, some quite plain.

My sub, a K-350, isn't ready for the water yet, but I need to consider
through hulls for the transducer, and choose the proper transducer for
the unit I will be buying.

Is anyone out there using a device like this?  Some input
please.........

Thanks, Dan H.