Re: [[PSUBS-MAILIST] Undersea Habitats]

Danny Campbell schrieb:

> I've often wondered about undersea habitats myself.  Its been done.  I believe
> most are at ambient pressure at a fairly shallow depth.  The hull could be
> larger and built on struts.  Float it out to the desired site, sink it, anchor
> the struts to the sea floor in concrete.  Equalize the pressure between the
> inside and the ambient pressure at the bottom then open the bottom hatch,
> crawl inside and kick back in your own Fortress of Solitude!  You could
> probably rig some kind of retractable snorkel for getting fresh air.  Does
> anyone know how long you can live at saturation at about 30'?

The "No Decompression Nessesary time" (Bottom Time) at 30' (9,1m)
is about 653 Minutes (about 11 hours). After this you have make
a break during surfacing at 3m (10'). My tables shows not how long -
because this time is far beyond divers table.

Source : Table Dr.A.A.Bühlmann, Zürich 1983)

A small diver look out chamber will free you from the time limit.

May you can stay longer with higher oxygen, lower nitrogen gas mixture ?

A old Tank freighter lorry will be a cheap way to do that-
All you need is there - The tank, the stell chasis and wheel to carry
it to the harbour. Maybe you should use one which were use for
food like milk or wiskey made from stainless steel ..

There is no need for anchors - just heavy weights to compensate the
bouancy
and small dive tanks or dive tanks bulkheads to sink the structure.
The dive tank could be used as bottom inside the structure.

regards Carsten