[PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: Monoethanolamine (scrubber)

Nathanael Henderson wrote:

>   A liquid scrubber
> system would be more difficult to build and maintain as well, but the idea
> of a scrubber you can just throw in the oven to regenerate has it's
> appeal.  :-)

Just looking backward ....  In Ragan's book about the Civil War
subs (that's the American Civil War), page 170, has a diagram of
a scrubber.

A Professor Hostrford in 1863 proposed a scrubber as a part of a
submarine he designed for the U.S. Navy.  The scrubber as shown
here is a duct through which the air was blown by a fan.  The air
passed "through a saturated cloth of soda and lime water."

No, it wasn't actually built.  Would it work?  I have no idea,
but I'd be willing to accept that it was considered practical
by the chemists of 1863.

Mike