[PSUBS-MAILIST] USS X-1 Facts

Hi All:
A few days ago I did a search and found one of the sailors that spent time serving on the X-1 (1963-1965).  I asked if he could provide me with some info about "the only minisub ever employed by the U.S. Navy".  He replied just a few minutes ago.  Here's what he had to say:

From: Pete Akerson <peteakerson@hotmail.com>
To: dblake@bright.net <dblake@bright.net>
Subject: Re: USS X-1
Date: Saturday, March 03, 2001 5:45 PM

Hi Dave,

but I'll try to give you some information and answer your questions.

X-1 had diesel/electric propulsion during most of its lifetime. Originally,
she had an engine that ran on hydrogen peroxide.  This system required no
external air supply and was similar to the engines developed for the German
U-Boats just before the end of WWII. Apparently the hydrogen peroxide was
pretty unstable and the propulsion was converted to diesel/electric after an
explosion literally blew the bow (where the fuel was carried) off in 1957.

We had the capability of locking out swimmers through a small compartment in
the forward part of the boat. That compartment was also intended to be used
by the crew for escape in the event it became necessary. Scuba gear would
have been used for an escape rather than the Steinke Hood used at that time
on other US submarines.

Although we had an assigned complement of 8 (2 Officer, 6 Enlisted),
virtually all underway operations were done with 4 people. Except for a
fairly short deployment to St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands where we worked
with Seals and UDT, all of our operations were conducted in Chesapeake Bay,
working with the Naval Research Lab.

At the present time, X-1 is on display at the U. S. Naval Academy,
Annapolis, MD and there's a short history and a couple of pictures of her
at:

http://www.maritime.org/hnsa-x1.htm

Hope this has been of some assistance and please don't hesitate to let me
know if there's any other information you'd like.

Best Regards,

Pete