Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Kittredge plans

Hi,

> Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 19:52:47 -0800
> From: Ed Greany <crest25@attglobal.net>
> To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
> Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Kittredge plans
>
> Kidding aside, I believe what this group really needs is some direction.

The Mission Statement of PSUBS is:

	To promote and encourage the discussion, designing,
	building, certifiying, owning and using Personal Submersibles.

Designing and building via the web is challenging. I don't what to
discourage you but there is a sample of the level of commitment you will
need.

Several years ago a group of PSUBers broke off from the group to design
their own sub. The BIGGEST hurdle for them was the international nature
of the web. They were physically miles apart. Their approach was to
design via e-mail with one or two of them doing the plans based on
feedback and discussion of the rest.

So to proceed it took a few individuals who took the lead to organize
and to do most of the work. Yes, they did try to assign out pieces to various
individuals. In reality the leader has to coordinate the whole project to
make sure the various pieces work.

Their second biggest hurdle was to choose a common drafting software
package so they could exchange files. I never heard what they settled on.

The next hurdle will be actually building it. Since they were physically
apart it would mean one person at his location would have to build it alone.
And you do want it built. Giving away plans that haven't been tried out is
criminal. How do you know it really works? How can you possibly expect someone
to risk his life with your plans if they have never been tried?

So who pays for the construction? Materials? If one guy builds it does he
pay for the whole thing? If everyone chips in how does everyone gets his
share of usage?

In theory we can design a sub as a collective group. In practical matters
the actual designing is the easy part. It's the coordinating of the overall
project that is difficult. Perhaps if we have our Convention we could spend
an afternoon working on something.

Regards,
Ray