Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] perry oceanographic submersible

Ray,
    Perry is transmorgified to a gov't service outfit now that doesn't talk
much about its work (to the public). Then there is Perry Tritech, or whatever
it is called these days, that builds and supports ROVs. The old Perry shop is
still there, in Riviera Beach, doing this and that, but not manufacturing
anything manned that I know of.
    Perry Oceanographics no longer exists as a designer/builder, and I hear
that the lawyers have nightmares worrying about their liabilities with all
the subs out there doing what they were fabricated to do. I don't think there
were too many of the wet subs built. The first one was for John Perry to
shark hunt in--for real--thus the name. Then some attempts were made to build
systems for the Navy. Then Hap Perry built the Reef Hunters for awhile ....
then everyone got bored and went and did something else, unfortunately for
the rest of us.
    Anyone who wants a Perry Cubmarine of either the wet or dry persuasion
today will need to buy it used. Believe me, I wish it wasn't true. I'd
probably still be down there puttering around the shop if I could.
Best Regards,
Vance