Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: Response to Captain Nemo's attack

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phil Nuytten" <72020.572@compuserve.com>
To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Saturday, February 26, 2000 8:16 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: Response to Captain Nemo's attack

> Hello, Nemo:
>         "Fig"?? Haven't heard that since grade school!! How do you get a
> big company to build your sub ideas? Nuthin' to it! Start a dive shop when
> you're about 15 or so, run it after school and weekends. Sell it after
high
> school and use the $ to buy commercial dive gear - Hard Hat, compressors,
> small barge. etc. Spend 7 days a week in small aircraft flying up and down
> the coast doing two bit salvage jobs in Scuba gear and try to get on major
> construction projects once in a while to justify the cost of the heavy
gear
> and get experience in it. As you become more succesful, phase out the
> Scuba, rev up the commercial aspect, go into U/W T.V., Surveying,
> rehabilitation of bridges,docks, dams, installation of intakes, outfalls,
> cable crossings, etc. Start to design and build the gear that either is
too
> expensive to buy, or doesn't do quite what you need, or exists only in
your
> head. In the meantime, be active in all the various societies, standards
> groups, etc.or found them if they dont exist, write articles, give
> technical papers, civic talks, etc. Do this for about . .oh, 5 to 7,
> years. Then gamble everything . .house, car, boat, dog, business, etc., to
> go into deep gas diving on offshore oil rigs - diving bells, ROV's, subs,
> sat systems, etc. When this is succesful - another four or five years,
> gamble it all again to go into partnership with a couple of guys in an
> international company. After this company buys out it's competition and
> becomes one of the largest commercial diving companies' in the world, sell
> out your interest to buy back your original company and have enough change
> left to start building something that is unique, cutting-edge, and has a
> good market. Start a new company to manufacture device and it's spin-
offs,
>  and operate for about,. . . oh, 10 years or so, Take that company public,
> use the proceeds to build up a large machine-shop, test facility, and
> manufacturing plant . . and then sell your interest  so that you can build
> a smaller duplicate plant that you own outright.  All this time, about 35
> years or so, be building submersibles on a skunk works basis, and trying
> find work for them where ever you can - often in competition with your own
> 'day job'. Then you just use the now 100% yours manufacturing facility to
> build your own and/or your top technical guys ideas. - whether or not they
> make money. If the stuff you build doesn't work well or doesn't finally
> prove to have a market, then you turn breasts- uppermost. and thats all
she
> wrote!   See . . .nuthin' to it!
>         Follow up on Vances query to you, re: Terry Kerby: Terry is head
> pilot with HURL ( Hawaiian Undersea Research. Labs) part of University of
> [...]

Thanks, but what I really wanted to know was: could you recommend any
companies that might manufacture sub parts for individual craftsmen on a
contractual basis; some of the members have been asking about about that
lately.  I've been told it's an absurd request; thus, my LOL; but I felt it
was something many might be interested in, and a good place to start a book
about personal submarines.

VBR,

Pat