RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] University Competition

Wade, I 've renamed the subject because I think this could be an ongoing
subject and it should reflect your university's competition. A few things.
I'm really excited about your poject because I've followed these
competitions for years. My wife wants to go to California this year to visit
the San Diego Zoo, and a few other places. I would like to attend the races.
I think we can help you guys in a few ways. If you plan on selling t-shirt
for promotional purposes to raise money, count me in. As far as your design,
I would recommend a one man sub for efficiency sake. Cost would be lower,
size would be smaller, the structure would be stonger, and the fabrication
would be easier. With that said , I would suggest a foam core design. I
intend on using carbon fiber and fiberglass in my sub. Since your sub is a
wet sub, and you don't have to contend with external pressures, you do not
need aluminum ribs. The fiberglass and foam will be more than sufficient.
Any load bearing surfaces, such as propulsion systems or control surfaces
should be imbedded in the fiberglass using stainless steel plates. These
should be copiously reinforced with fiberglass. As far as the acrylic or
polycarbonate are concerned, 1/4 inch is more than adequate for a wet sub.
Either one will last for subsequent years of service. Polycarbonate is more
difficult to deal with in some respects, but i will be using it for my
canopy. When you guys get to the CAD stage of your design, put a copy on
this site, and we can give you more specifics. If you want lots of advice,
you'll get your share on this site. These guys have lots of good ideas. Well
wade, i hope I answered your questions, and keep them coming...Suds