RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] University Competition

Suds,

Actually, the competition requires that the sub be two man (buddy system
type thing).  This also allows for one pilot to concentrate on propulsion
and the other to concentrate on direction which equates to less crashed
subs.  In actual fact we have already begun construction of the hull (with
the competition only a few months away we are a little pressed for time to
get the thing in the water for testing.  The aluminum frame is not for
structural purposes in the hull, it is just to attach all of the systems.  I
like your idea of embedding plates in the fibreglass, that never occurred to
me but I'm afraid at this point it will have to be a consideration for next
years sub.  The aluminum was a cost issue.  We can get all the free aluminum
we need so it made the choice there pretty easy.  As for the foam core, our
predecessors had the same idea but unfortunately they spent so much time
sanding the thing down that they never got it into the water.  We took it
out for testing in the pool a few months ago (middle of winter in an outdoor
unheated pool with minimal thermal gear! How's that for dedication.)  The
thing took several hundred pounds of extra weight just to get it under.
With 1/4" acrylic would I need to worry about it thinning to much during the
forming?  Another question regarding the controls is whether there is
significant electrolization between aluminum plating and stainless steel
fasteners and if so will teflon tape solve the problem?  I would put the
drawings that we have up here but unfortunately, several members of the team
insisted that they be prepared in PRO-Engineer.  THere are a few advantages
to this but I think there are more disadvantages. One of them being the
difficulty in distributing the drawings.  If you have access to a copy of
pro-e let me know, but my understanding is that it is a ridiculously
expensive program and so not a lot of people use it.  The other big
disadvantage is that the files get very large very quickly.  At the moment
I'm having trouble just getting them onto my computer so that I can work on
them.  Oh well, I'll see what I can do.  Thanks again for the advice.

Wade