[PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: Turtle

On Thu, 10 Feb 2000 22:45:41 -0600 David Buchner <buchner@wcta.net>
writes:
>Wow, I'm surprised. All the crude little sketches I've seen of it
>since I was a kid gave me the impression it was fairly tiny. Musta
>been a lot of lead in that thing. Did these people who built the
>replica, actually take it out under water?

Yeah, the replica actually got used.

I re-ran the numbers after building a better simulated hull.   It's still
about 10,000 pounds displacement (not counting the conning tower).

According to the sources I've found, it was 7 1/2 feet long and 6 feet
wide.   I had to guess at the height, but judging by the size of the
figure of the pilot, it couldn't have been less than eight feet from
the keel to the "deck."

>>On the other hand, if you want to do a replica, let's talk about the
>>Hunley or the Argonaut Jr.   I'm working on getting the plans to
>>both.
>
>If we build the Hunley, do we have to die?

Only if we dive in Charleston harbor, I suppose.

Mike
--

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.