Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: Turtle

At 0849 -0600 02/10/0, Michael B Holt wrote:
>I don't think you should. [build it]  I've been messing around with the numbers.
>....First of all, the real Turtle displaced, not counting the conning tower,
>only a little bit less than 12,000 pounds.   Yes, 6 TONS.   Second, the
>center
>of buouyance was about half-way up the hull; the pilot is seated ABOVE
>the center of buouyancy.   So there needs to be a hell of a lot of weight
>below him.

Wow, I'm surprised. All the crude little sketches I've seen of it since I was a kid gave me the impression it was fairly tiny. Musta been a lot of lead in that thing. Did these people who built the replica, actually take it out under water?

>On the other hand, if you want to do a replica, let's talk about the
>Hunley or the Argonaut Jr.   I'm working on getting the plans to both.

If we build the Hunley, do we have to die?

--
David
Osage MN USA