[PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: Turtle

On Wed, 9 Feb 2000 11:31:20 -0600 David Buchner <buchner@wcta.net>
writes:
>I forgot who it was, who mentioned a Wooden Boat article about a
>Turtle replica someone had made. And I seem to have deleted that
>message accidentally. So could you re-post that bit of knowledge,
>please?

That was me, Dave.   What do you want to know?

Refer to WoodenBoat 21 for the story of the replica that's now in a
museum in Connecticut.

>Maybe that's what I should do this summer.

I don't think you should.   I've been messing around with the numbers.

I simulated the hull with Carlson's Chine Hull Designer program.
Download
the program at <www.carlsondesign.com>.   Get the hull form from me.

It's not exactly the hull: using CHD, I can make on the half-hull (yeah,
I've
heard the jokes about "on the half-shell"), but it does tell me a lot.

First of all, the real Turtle displaced, not counting the conning tower,
only a little bit less than 12,000 pounds.   Yes, 6 TONS.   Second, the
center
of buouyance was about half-way up the hull; the pilot is seated ABOVE
the center of buouyancy.   So there needs to be a hell of a lot of weight
below him.

My gut feeling is that the Turtle would be hell to launch, because of its
draft.   It would be hell to enter, because it would be as tender as a
kayak.   Finally, it would require a lot of power to move in the water
because of its shape.   With side thrusters instead of that one screw,
it would turn quickly, though.

On the other hand, if you want to do a replica, let's talk about the
Hunley or the Argonaut Jr.   I'm working on getting the plans to both.

Mike
--

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.