Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] batteries

At 1452 -0600 02/09/0, Chris Crouch wrote:
>For those interested in Lead acid batteries I would recomend for rechargeing
>an reconditioning http://www.pulsetech.net/index2.html. Offering charging
>technology that breads good life back into old batteries. It's just
>something I came accross through some unrelated research. Let me know what
>you think.

I didn't look at the URL yet, because using the browser on this old machine is a real pain. But, wondering what that "charging technology" is, I thought I'd mention that my inverter/batterycharger also has an "equalize" function which brings the batteries up to 15.5V or something at a controlled amperage (I don't know how it decides... I thought equalizing amperage was supposed to be determined by some formula, based on the total capacity of the batteries -- It always just seems to do 20A.)

Anyway, the manual says this is an 8-hour cycle... presumably it holds the volts at 15.5 once it reaches that, limiting the amps all the while, and then goes back to a lower float voltage after the 8 hours are up. This is supposed to agitate sulfation off the plates, mix up the electrolyte, even out the cell voltages, and grow back your hair.

This is another thing to think about with subs: hydro-caps or not, I would think under these conditions you'd have some hydrogen gassing no matter what. So maybe the batteries come out if you want to do this... or you have some super-duper ventilation system you fire (no pun) up before starting this...?

--
David
Osage MN USA