From: "David Buchner" <buchner@wcta.net>
To: "psubs list" <Personal_Submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2000 9:35 AM
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] batteries

> I thought I asked about this a while ago. I either forgot to ask and only
thought I did, or my question was missed, or I missed the response.

> Somebody reiterated that lead-acid batteries were preferable for our
applications. Why is this, again? If I had access to 10 big NiCd cells which
were just sitting around in somebody's garage -- why wouldn't I want to use
them?

> Also...
> What are you people (using/planning to use when it becomes relevant) for
chargers? It seems to me that even the bigger auto battery chargers A)
aren't going to be big enough, put out enough amps, to work for big banks of
batteries -- and  B) all seem to never fully charge lead-acid batteries.
They wimp out at 13-some volts and you can charge for days and days and
never get all the way up.

> The only industrial-grade battery chargers I've looked at were pretty
spendy in their own right, so don't forget to figure that in. The
electricity in my house is solar, most of the time -- so we run everything
from a set of 4 of those Trojan 220ah golf cart batteries. Our 2000W
12-->120V inverter incorporates a pretty robust charger, so we can charge
from the generator when there's no sun. With that, I routinely hit them with
50 amps.