[PSUBS-MAILIST] Horsepower

Teammates,

Please help me with this one.  According to an article in BOAT/U.S. Magazine
(January 2000, pages 24-25), electric motors somehow provide three times the
performance of internal combustion engines.  How can this be?  Horsepower is
horsepower is horsepower, isn't it?

The article (Electric Boats Charging Back) is about coverting gasoline or
diesel boats into electric ones.  The author (Ryck Lydecker) says: "He
calculates that to replace internal combustion engines, particularly in
sailboats, the power ratio is about three-to-one.  That is, a 3-hp electric
motor is adequate to replace a 9-hp outboard."  I thought a 3-hp diesel = a
3-hp gasoline = a 3-hp electric = a 3-hp anything.  Yes?  No?  Please help me
out here.  Does this guy know something I don't?

Thanks,

Doug