Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] on Skipjack's proposed propulsion, etc.

ÿþ<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META content="text/html; charset=unicode" http-equiv=Content-Type> <META content="MSHTML 5.00.2314.1000" name=GENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=#ffffff> <DIV><FONT size=2>Hi Alec, </FONT></DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2>Yes, Sweden and Great Britain both have full-sized subs running on closed-circuit engines; they work quite well, or so I've read.</FONT></DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2>And yes, an engine for surface propulsion would be a benefit to operating range.&nbsp; Even if I make the engine work both ways, I was still thinking of including a separate electric motor-drive for slower, quieter operations underwater.</FONT></DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2>"volume of gasses to be scrubbed" is indeed an important part of the problem.&nbsp; If we simply use a canister full of Sodasorb, we're going to need a mighty big one!&nbsp; Replenishment would prove costly, and I have some concerns about heat being generated inside the system.&nbsp; I've already thought about cooling my exhaust to recompact the gas molecules prior to re-use in the engine, and this will probably occur before scrubbing.&nbsp; But it seems to me a "liquid scrubber" wherein the gasses could be bubbled through a solution of, say, Natron and water (or passed through a "filter on a roll" that cycled through this mixture), we'd be able to avoid a lot of the problems like internal heat and the collection of absorbed contaminants (carbon).&nbsp; Also, if we rig this liquid scrubber so that it, by chemical process, removes the accumulated carbon from the&nbsp;scrubbing fluid, NOW we're talking&nbsp;practicality for long-term use in a small submarine!&nbsp; I've got to do some more reading on the Stirling AIP being used in those military subs we mentioned a while ago to see how they approach this problem; but I won't be surprised if it's not unlike what I've just described, as this seems a logical way to achieve increased scrubber endurance.</FONT></DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2>"Fuel cells": Agreed; a definite source of power suitable to our needs.&nbsp; After all, why are we thinking about using an engine?&nbsp; It's to give us more performance than we get from DC electric motors and props.&nbsp; But as we are seeing, engines have a lot of problems impeding underwater use.&nbsp; A fuel cell electric system that could produce the kind of power&nbsp;we need without massive batteries (more problems!) would be great; and when they become readily available, you can bet I will be looking to buy one!&nbsp; ;-)</FONT></DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2>Very best regards,&nbsp;</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2>Pat Regan</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2><A href="mailto:vulcania@interpac.net">vulcania@interpac.net</A>&nbsp; </FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>