Re: Nuclear sub

Ah, formica I new it well. Phenolics and Melamine are the genaric name for
this class. They are thermosets with high temperature/wear resistance. In
their heyday they were considered engineering plastics, a term currently
reserved for exotic "skunk works" composite material. Yes, they have good
mold release properties. I would use them for mold materials, but not for
structural parts.
As far as the question about mold making etc. for ballast tanks, I would use
a process similar to what I have used in the past and what I plan on using
for the sub hull. Make inner hull bulkheads out of ply wood (not for me..
but ok for balast tanks). Line the outside with 1/2 inch thick polyurethane
foam (blue, closed cell), glued joints and easily sanded. Add fittings at
this point or after first coating depending on configuration. Layer with
epoxy or polyester, squeegie on fiber cloth, apply more epoxy or poly,
second layer of glass cloth, 3rd layer, etc. Sand smooth and paint. Nothing
to it, ha. I once made jet parts this way for DOD. Get a good book on hand
layup of fiberglass or search the net for tips. Proper technique minimizes
delaminating (not good). I kind of like working with poly urethane foam. You
can form it anyway you want, sand it with another piece of poly, and it hot
slices like butter (ummmm...OK, a  slight exageration). This technique is
great for one of a kind projects. The finish is not going to be the quality
of a female mold unless you spend the same amount of time as you would in
making the mold. Practice on a small part first. The learning curve is
dramatic, and makes a big difference. There are other techniques similar to
this, but this is one of the easiest. Carbon fiber and kevlar are more
expensive, but are applied in the same fashion. Strength changes depending
on weave and techniques used. Strengths are comparable to steel (sometimes
better) and rust inhibition is a real advantage. Design flexibility is a big
plus. I'm sure there will be some who disagree with this (comparison with
steel), but a well designed (key word) and fabricated composite will hold
its own with steel hulls. OK, I'm getting on my soapbox, but bear with me.
Sometimes I get carried away. Oh and Chris, I'd love any advice or
experience you have. I love synergism..little salt, little garlic, LOL.
Suds