Re: Design questions?

Paul,
    Here is some input.  Most people start looking at battery technology
and start thinking and pricing and come back around to lead-acid.  Many are
golf cart batteries.  When you factor cost, weight, and energy density into
the total picture it usually leads back to lead-acid.  These have certain
dangers though that you need to research such as explosion and acid.  I use
them but I have hydro-caps on each cell to recombine the hydrogen and
oxygen gas.
    My rudder system is direct hydraulics.  I have cylinders with foot
pedals connected via tubing and hoses to the cylinders that swivel the
motor.  Make the hoses and tubes large ID if possible to cut friction.  I
do not like servo actuators and this is the reason.  Most are slow and you
as the pilot will have no feedback as to where the surface is at any time.
I never thought of this cause I do not use them.  But, Harold LaTourneau
once told me that his rudder actuator system was not good without
indication of position.  You don't want to have to wait on the boat to move
to know where the control is at any given time.  I have a similar problem
with the position of my slide weight under the keel.  But I have not
created an indicator yet.  I think that the rudder and dive planes would be
a more difficult situation without feedback unlike my slide weight, because
you will have to be moving for the control surfaces to be effective.
    As far as the hatch goes, do not use a flat hatch.  You don't want to
go there.

Gary Boucher