Re: Gyros and Compass Modules

flux gate compass's really operate very well in the presence of STRONG electric fields.  the one on my dad's boat is 2 feet in front of 2 VERY large engines, in fact 2 454's :)  In steel boats they use conventional compasses, but they use compensation weights...  Well not really weights, they are large balls of iorn positioned around the compass to even out the magnetic fields.  As for the motor screwing up the compass's reading, either put the motor in a properly insulated cage/ gauss shield.  OR you can put the motor inside the boat and the compass outside :)  (I think the boat would make a GREAT cage to stop the motor's magnetic field)