Polycarbonate

Good luck Paul,

Sounds like you are going through the same problems as I had when I formed
the bow port on my ambient sub. Drying the poly was the most difficult for me
along with accurate and even temperature control. I baked the poly at F 200
for three days before forming. Even with the three day bake I got a few minor
bubbles. I also had a problem with the temperature sensor in the oven. One of
my trial runs the poly sheet 1/4 inch thick formed a barrier between the
temperature sensor and the heating element. This caused uneven heating and
some burning of the poly. I would suggest a large oven like a pizza oven if
you don't have access to a better setup at your work site. I did mine in my
wife's oven. Having a melted goo of poly around the oven grates didn't
impress my wife.

Keep in touch on your process in forming your ports. My bow port is poly and
my conning bubble is acrylic. People ask me about ramming something and the
impact resistance of the poly was important to me. Taking about a foot square
of the poly plastic and trying to break it with a large hammer on a concrete
floor is difficult and is impressive when compared to acrylic which shatters
easily.

As Gary and Vance points out most of the literature is on acrylic and is used
on the deep subs. I haven't seen any testing done on the polycarbonate.
Seems there is some sensitivity on use of polycarbonate, it would be useful
to find concrete data on why acrylic is used for most sub ports. It may have
something to do with the water absorption of the poly and/or processing
problems. There was one posting on this site that discussed the mechanical
properties of the two plastics with the conclusion that the acrylic was more
suitable.

I went to a local vendor in this area and the FIT human powered subs. The
human powered sub people definitely like the poly but the vendor didn't like
to process and form the material. They said the process they use was
proprietary and difficult. They also said they would not supply a port for me
with the words "We don't do that anymore." Bear in mind my sub does not
require the ports to withstand the ambient pressure,  it's a wet sub. If I
were to build a 1 ATM sub, which I'm not going to do, I would get more data
before using the poly. In my case if the port breaks I may not be in much
trouble. I suspect your 1 ATM sub would be more of a problem. If the window
broke and stunned you from the implosion, you probably would not make it back
to the surface.

I'm of the opinion that wet subs are lower risk. That's not zero risk.

Have fun,

Ken Martindale

In a message dated 8/12/99 10:33:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,