Re: wet vs dry

Well.....

The camera is one of those small pc board cameras you can get at almost
any electronics place.  It's about 2" on a side and will run off 9-12v.
I run mine off a 9v battery.  The output is composite video.  I just
took an old 4 C cell underwater light and gutted it, removed the reflector
and mounted the camera board where the reflector used to go.  I used
the light switch to turn it on and off.  I drilled a hole in the back
of the light housing and put a standard compression type tubing connector
about the same size as the coax and used o-rings to seal it.  I used the
coax to suspend the camera in the water.  I believe the light housing
is good to at least 300'.  I have a small B&W 12vdc monitor with
composite video input that I use on the boat for a display.  The only
problem I've found is that it is hard to see in direct sunlight so I
have a cardboard shield I use to help viewing.  You'll find you may
have to add some lead to the light housing to make it sufficiently
negatively buoyant, especially if it is used in any type of current.

Now, the magnetometer....the output is audio, you listen to a decaying
beat frequency.  Yes it will be towable from a surface vessel.  I highly
recommend checking out the following web site for more info:

 http://www.portup.com/~dfount/proton.htm

This will give you a lot more detailed info and where you can purchase
plans.

I hope this give you the info you need Gene, if not just holler and I'll
try to elaborate.

Al

--
Alan D. Secor