Re: battery boxes

In a message dated 6/29/99 10:11:57 PM, empiricus@sprint.ca writes:

<<Opinions?  Crass remarks?  Insights?

--
Rick Lucertini>>

Who, sir? Me, sir?

As to your question, yes, the boxes are compensated, along with whatever is
inside them. Oil weeps into the cells and floats on top of acid, seperators
on each cell skin the acid off the bubbles and return it to its rightful
owner, and everybody's happy.

And no, I don't think they are worth the trouble. Certainlyl not for less
than 500 psi service or thereabouts. And even then new metals and the like
have made them unnecessary. Phil's DeepWorker 2000 uses titanium battery
pods, for instance, as will the 3000, which will also have a titanium hull
(or so I understand). This doesn't count for the average psubber, of course,
but illustrates the point that down to 3000 feet, there is no need
compensation unless one has need for BIG batteries.

And for us, pressure resistant pods, or box keels in the hull, or carefully
fitted internal batteries are probably the best options, dependant on cost,
available monies, size and payload considerations, available monies,
preference of the designer/builder, available monies ....

Vance