Re: Capt. George Kittredge's Sub Plan

In a message dated 6/28/99 6:05:08 AM, shawl@torchlake.com writes:

<< When I joined P-subs I had hoped we would be talking more about
how to get into the water in a sub.  But lately it is the group e-mail that
is getting all wet.

Have fun everybody and keep smiling. :-) I am!
More comments mixed in below.

Speaking of which, I learned a thing or two at the Expo in Portland.
	1.  Found a supplier of low voltage lighting and miniature cameras
that might be useful. Mostly he sells to the miniature ROV and commercial
diving communitites for lights, but it applies to us. Lights for <$100!.

	2. Electrical penetrations come in different levels of certification
these days. Sounds obvious after I saw it, but the ROV industry has allowed
the creation of less expensive penetrators--on the order of $30-$60 per each
dependant on pins and load requirements. "Man Rated" for certified pressure
vessels are still the high priced glass filled, etc., etc., that cost $300 to
$600 and come with pedigrees enough for the AKC. My point is that even the
cheapest plastic (epoxy filled) units have 600 psi ratings and might very
well do thee job in our 60 to 150 psi environments.

	3. Inexpensive phased-array sonar systems are available that offer
visibility to 600 feet and better. Not a bad idea for the lake divers and
nearly essential to go and actually find something in the ocean.

Vance