Re: Dry sub for sale?

In a message dated 6/13/99 5:10:13 PM, shawl@torchlake.com writes:

<<Assuming the sale or trade
came with a good liability contract!

Jon Shawl

Nathanael Henderson wrote:

> > I have been told 2 things and I'm not sure what one is right.
> > #1 I will always have some liability because I built it. or
> > #2 If I have the right type of sales contract I would be safe from any
> > liability.
>
>    Well, I'm not a lawyer, but I'll take a stab at it.   I believe no
> matter what you do you can be held liable for the sub since you built it
> if it hurts/kills somebody because of a design flaw or substandard
> construction.    The other half of the coin is that you can largely
> protect yourself with a good contract. >>

Psubbers--I understand that the Perry Sub Builders lawyers still shiver when
anyone mentions one of John Perry's submarines.  The liability thing is a
monster in this country, developed by insurance companys, the AMA and
attorneys who are in the middle of all this as litigators and legislators
(that from my jillion dollar per year cousin Charlie who is a big-time New
York lawyer).  My understanding of all this is that no matter what you do, a
gifted and skillfui attorney can peel it like an onion until he gets to
little old you.  George Kittredge might share some thoughts on all this as he
built forty K-boats through the years and has never been sued that I know of.
 Worth a query I should think.  Give me a day or two and I'll ask him myself
and pass things along as he responds.

Vance