Re: Very Expensive Thrills Dept., Soviet section

On Wed, 9 Jun 1999 07:05:15 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time) Ray Keefer
writes:
>I hate to burst everyone's bubble but what is the price
>tag? How many lifetimes would I have to work to pay for it?

Let's not think about that one.

>Is the reactor still working? What would the Nuclear
>Reglatory Commission say if I park a nuclear sub in
>the San Francisco bay? A typhoon is a nuc boat, right?

Yeah, the Typhoon is a nuclear boat.   Gee, if you keep the boat
as a potential public display, the NRC would matter less than the
Park Service or the tax assessors.

Is the reactor working?  Probably as well as any Soviet reactor
works.   Frequently, they leave out the heat exchanger, so you'd
have to remove and replace the turbines every now and then.

>What is the max depth and top speed. It would be kind
>of fun cruising at 2000 ft at 30+ knots.

Max depth is 400 meters, it says.   It's a big boat, so it tops
out at  25 knots.

(I used to be on a local BBS.   One of my personas there was
the skipper of a small red sailboat (kept on "The Stream of
Consicousness"), and I'd take virtual persons out for virtual
sails.    The BBS sysop, when the movie "The Hunt for Red
October" was released, gave me "Harmony," a Typhoon,
to keep on the Stream of Consciousness.    I operated it
for years there on the BBS as the "World's Only Politically
Correct Ballistic Missile Submarine."   Those were the
days!)

Mike