Re: archives or catacombs

In a message dated 5/27/99 11:23:31 PM, shawl@torchlake.com writes:

<<Now if you had gone down (dive) in the Bond Sub that would count for
something I
guess.
And to reply to the other recent mail about this being a Zany bunch, any idea
what
that was about? :-)>>

Jon,
I was in Germany doing sea trials on PC-1202 when the Bond Lotus wet-sub
thingamajig was being filmed outside Nassau.  HAP Perry built it on a
fiberglas skin supplied by Lotus themselves via the film production company
and there were some moderately hysterical stories out of the shoot which some
of the shop guys were involved with.  The big problem was the patent
difference between aerodynamics and the hydro counterpart--the damned thing
just wouldn't fly.

It had four 3/4 hp (Applied Permanent Magnet motors) direct driving aluminum
kort-nozzled props bolted across the back and a 24 VDC pressure compensated
battery pack mounted internally (four 6-V 225 amp golf cart batts, of
course).  The car shape was basically completely hollow with bulkheads here
and there to sort of keep things together but no matter what they did they
couldn't get it to fly in anything resembling a straight line.  The shape of
the car helps its road holding abilities, and the shape of the sub does the
same thing only more.  What you saw in the movie, for the most part, was
filmed in a single morning with the subcar running down a thin wire which led
through small shackles latched fore and aft underneath.  They ended up with 4
PAIRS of rudders to get it do anything at all and the little dive planes were
strictly for show, and didn't do anything but break off at inopportune
moments.  I wonder what happened to the silly thing?

And that zany crack--what IS up with that?  Is he teasing?  Man must know
we're serious about this--at least I am.  Otherwise why would I be sitting
here dressed as Groucho Marx talking to you lot?  Man's got to be serious if
he takes that much trouble, don'cha think?

Vance