Re: On board fires

Jonathan Shawl wrote:

> Rick Lucertini wrote:
>
> > [snip]
> >
> > >Since subs have low voltage electrical systems, what about a water spray type fire
> > extinguisher?
> >
> > Water should never be used around electrical fires, low voltage or otherwise.  Since
> > water conducts so well, it could lead to other problems in other electrically
> > sensitive systems.
>
> That is a good rule to follow in general, and it is true that water sometimes can conduct
> electricity. Most everybody thinks water is a good conductor of electricity, BUT clean
> fresh water with a low mineral content is NOT a good conductor at all.

Interesting.  I had never thought to apply mineralization to an onboard fire.

I know that about half of heart attacks are caused by low mineral content in the body.  The
other half is due to occlusion. Both are caused by poor diet, in particular refined sugar in
the case of signal blockage.  The signals from the brain to the heart are either blocked or
interfered with.  So . . .

> But I would have to question the use of
> anything else in a fire extinguisher as being safe at all to breath being in a closed
> space. Vance, what kind do they use on the "real" subs?

Heck - I don't trust industry claims about health.  If, say, distilled water would make an
excellent extinguisher, I'd take it over Halon any day, claims to being harmless
notwithstanding.  Just don't use sugar with your distilled water    ;-)

--
Rick Lucertini
empiricus@sprint.ca

"Outside of a dog books are a man's best friend -
Inside of a dog there isn't enough light to read."

   Groucho Marx