Re: PRESSURE HULLS

Hi Tom,

Sorry I didn't get back to your last mail. Here are some comments.

> 	Just in case you were really serious, I must tell you that I doubt
> you could do any better than contacting George Kitteredge
> (Kittredg@midcoast.com) for a set of plans to one of his submarines. All the
> thinner material wall thickness in LP tanks--it looks like a sub hull, and

Don't talk to George about LP tanks. He thinks they are a death trap waiting
to happen. Mostly because you don't know the theoritical strength of the
metal. By the time you send a sample of the tank metal out to get it tested
you can fabricate what you want from scratch. The hull actually costs in the
high hundreds of dollars.

Kittredge's designs are basic and simple. Talk to George. Get his video.
You will get an idea of what he is offering.

Also there is a company, Lake Diver (?... see web site under Sources ->
Kittredge), that sells his designs already manufactured. IF you got
$250,000 and don't want to make it your self. Comes certified though,
almost worth it.

> 	As an illustration of just how tough these little boats are, check
> this out. One of George's K-350s was chained down on deck of a ship that
> sank  in the Sea of Japan in a typhoon.  The ship was 100' long and was
> salvaged  after a couple of months from 900' of water.  The sub was intact.
> No  leakage, no failed seals, and no visible hull distortions!  The thing is
> built like an anvil! Hope this helps your ruminations some.
> Regards,
> Vance

My understanding is that Kittredge derates his designs by 50%. So the
K-600 is meant to operate at 600' max but the calculated crush depth
is 1200'. I am not sure if the K-350 is calculated to crush at 600' or not.
Surviving at 900' for months is a great testimony of his designs.

Regards,
Ray